Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tee Shirt Maxi Dress

While I was running the other day I had a moment of inspiration. I have been buying 'rag bags' from Goodwill for $4.99, which are basically bags of tee shirts that they couldn't sell. I have made a couple of things out of them like Yoga Pants. Also I made Leggings for both the girls using mens extra large shirts. I have been itching to make a maxi dress for myself and even bought the fabric to make this one. But i am kind of chicken about cutting into a big piece of fabric and having it turn out too clingy or something. So this is what I came up with:
First I went through all my shirts and found the colors that I wanted. I had considered adding another color but when laid out all my shirts, I picked the 4 that were all the same width(except the white strip was about an inch smaller). I basically cut the 4 mens large or extra large tee shirts in strips, about 5 1/2 inches long. The width of the shirts was about 24 inches across. I ended up with 8 large loops of fabric. With right sides together, I used the zig zag stitch and sewed them together. When I got to the white strip I held it up to see how long it was. It ended up being perfect, if you are shorter you can just make your strips a little shorter. I attached the white strip and then used elatic thread and went around 6 or 7 times to make my waist. I used the top of a mens large brown shirt for the top. I used one of my shirts as a pattern and cut it down to fit. Then I just sewed the two pieces together. And I did almost the whole thing while William took a nap. It probably took me 2 1/2 hours total.

4 comments:

tiaolou004 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Body Armour said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
desitoon said...

Awesome Blog i like your blog.....

Branded Backlinks said...


Waiting for a revolutionary and an outstanding Carpet shampooer! Expecting such a product form Bissell as usual? To meet up your expectations, the company has introduced Bissell preheat 2x revolution this time that is great for deep cleaning of your carpets and for making them new. So, delay no further to read about Bissell Proheat 2x Revolution reviews.

If you went more just click hear : bissell proheat 2x revolution review